Contact us

Our customer service centre is open Monday - Friday 8am to 8pm. This is your one-stop-shop for all queries and requests, including repairs, rent payments, anti-social behaviour issues and complaints. There are a number of ways to contact us.

Call us on your regional number

London Region 0300 303 1061

When your call is answered please press:

1 - to report repairs
2 - to talk about paying your rent or service charge
3 - to speak to us about a new home, moving, or exchanging your current home
4 - for all other calls
Thames Gateway Region 0300 303 1773
South Region 0300 303 1063
Isle of Wight 0300 303 1772
West Region 0300 303 1064
Kent Region 0300 303 1773

Calls to 0300 numbers cost the same as a ‘normal call’.

Email us


We’ll get back to you within 3 working days.

Write to us

Customer Service Centre - Southern Housing Group
PO Box 643,
West Sussex,
RH12 1XJ

We'll get back to you within 5 working days.

Using text relay

If you have a hearing impairment and have access to a textphone, you can contact us via BT’s Text Relay service. The service is discreet and confidential. To use the Text Relay service prefix the telephone number you're calling with:

  • 18001 if you are text user
  • 18002 if you are hearing user calling a text user

Bengali and Turkish speaking residents

If you would like to hear our phone announcements in either Bengali or Turkish, please call the numbers below. Our advisors will then arrange an interpreter for the call.

Bengali-speaking residents

0300 303 1682

Turkish-speaking residents

0300 303 1683

Requesting information in other formats

If you need this or other information provided in Braille, in large print or on audio (tape or CD) in another language, contact the Customer Service Centre

Get involved

We want as many tenants as possible to have a say in how we manage homes and support communities. Find out more about how you can get involved by emailing the resident initiatives on getinvolved@shgroup.org.uk

Home Insurance

Home Insurance is your responsbility and we strongly recommend that you insure your personal possessions against accidental or negligent damage caused by you or third parties (such as a water leak from another property). Find out more